AnnIme

Saturday, March 03, 2007

Onion soup Pot Roast

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
3 lbs boneless rump roast or blade roast
1 onion, chopped
2 cups beef broth
1/2 cup apple juice
1/2 cup red wine
1 packet onion soup mix
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 clove garlic, minced
4 carrots
4 potatoes
4 stalks celery

cornstarch, to thicken

Not the one? See other Onion Pot Roast Recipes

  1. Heat oil in dutch oven over medium high heat.
  2. Braise meat for about 5 minutes, turning often until browned on all sides.
  3. Remove, set aside& keep warm.
  4. Saute onions in dutch oven until limp.
  5. Add broth, apple juice, wine, onion soup mix& spices and stir well.
  6. Return beef to dutch oven.
  7. Roast at 325F for 2 1/2 hours, turning beef about every 30 minutes.
  8. Cut vegetables into chunks, add to pot and cook for about another hour or until cooked to desired doneness.
  9. Remove veggies& beef and keep warm until ready to serve; for a thicker gravy, use corn starch.
I add more red wine than the recipe and more veggies. I cook on 300 and I do not turn the meat.